Friday, March 13, 2009

San Sebastian Part 2

So Gavin and I woke up the next day, he went to his room to get ready and I showered. Then him and Daryl met me at my room and we went in search of lunch.

That was really hard. We went to a fabulous restaurant on the walk (the only restaurant on the walk) looking over the bay and life was good. But they wouldn't serve us. I'm not kidding we sat for 30 minutes before we got menus, and at the hour mark without anyone taking our order we finallly left.

I pointed out the cutest little village to the left and suggested we just walk down that way. It was a beautiful walk, but when we got to the cute little village we realized it was just 80's condo's done up in the appropriate fashion. But we were too hungry to care and sat at the one restaurant in that area. That waiter was much faster than the other, but not by much.

Lunch, not all it could be, especially not on hungover tired stomachs. Then we spent the rest of the day just exporing the city. It really is amazing, with fountains at every turn, victorian architecture and the best dressed people in all of Spain. (In Barcelona they do not dress well, here they did).

We finally went to dinner. We did find a great restaurant that had good food (thank god). We were all so exhausted though I think we were home by 10pm. Gavin once again took up residence, and he's a 30 Rock fan so we watched a few episodes then turned to our books. Next thing I knew it was morning and my book was still in my hands.

Oh, and one of the Spaniards from the night before Facebooked me and sent me a message. It was the cutest message you've ever seen, complete with jeje's (which are Spanish for hee hee). Turns out they're all taking an English course and wanted to have lunch with us the next day so they could practice they're English. Now the mystery is complete.

Gavin and Darryl were leaving that day for a barbeque in France, and I was leaving to go home, so we parted and I went to do more exploring before my train left.

Had the most mediocre lunch in the most fabulous square ever (actually I think this was a circle) with a huge fountain in the middle. I think I spent 2 hours there reading my book and sipping coffee and eating. The sun was shining and it was glorious.

I got on the train (I booked first class) and they served me my champagne and then nothing. They didn't talk to me again for 4 hours, while they served other people sandwiches. I have to admit I was feeling a bit put out.

So we're about 2 hours from home and all of a sudden the train stops, in the middle of nowhere. We sit there for 10 minutes, I'm thinking, what is wrong? Then the train starts to go backwards, Ok, maybe there's a malfunction and we're going back to the last train station, which was like 40 minutes before. But then we quickly arrive at another train station.

People board. Including a fabuously gorgeous man who sits right in front of me. Not much you can do here to strike up a conversation, so I go back to my computer. Then the crew comes through and makes everyone stand up so they can switch their seats around so everyone is sitting forward. Well, I'm on the end, I stand up thinking they're going to switch my seat, but my seat doesn't turn, so all of a sudden that handsome man is facing me. Um hello.

So we both work on our computers (turns out he's fluent in English) and then they serve us a complete hot dinner with wine. We had no choice but to put our computers down and face each other. It was like Insta-date.

He runs the online department of a Spanish newspaper, so of course we had things to talk about. And I had fun. I have to admit it was like something out of Sex and the City, I mean who really gets thrown into these things with handsome, charming, intelligent Spanish men just with the turn of a seat?

He was meeting friends, and I went home to blog. It feels good to be home.

1 comment:

Monika Jolly said...

Marcia! I'm dying for your next blog post! I love reading this more than you can imagine:) what's next? xoxo