Monday, February 2, 2009

The Rain in Spain

Does not, in fact, fall mostly on the plains. It falls everywhere and it just doesn't stop. I was in three different cities yesterday, and the rain was continuous in each. In fact, since I'm not really on an itinerary, I will check the weather reports of where I'm going, if it looks bad, I check the other cities, so maybe I can go some place warmer. But if one has rain, they all have rain.

Now, nothing annoys me more than when people say if you stand out in the rain you'll get sick, you get sick from viruses. But I suppose if you've stood out in the rain for 18 days, not eaten well, drank more and been on crowded buses and trains with people carrying a virus, you are sooner or later going to get one yourself.

My throat started hurting late on Saturday night, I tried walking around Granada on Sunday, but the stores were all closed and the wind was freezing. I finally gave up and found a cafe. I was slightly annoyed with my resolve, but I just didn't feel well enough to give a shit. In fact I was starting to get nasty about it. "It's all old, everything's old, but is anything fucking warm?"

I think my fever may have broke as I landed in Barcelona, I was sweaty achy and my nose was starting to run non-stop. I found the gift shop and tried to explain Aspirin or Tyelonal to her. Come on - those are universal words, aren't they? I think she was just being difficult. I finally broke down crying and fled the store to cry by myself in the bathroom. I actually felt well enough after the really embarrassing breakdown to get a cab to the hotel. Where once again I stood trying not to cry as tears ran down my face because they had no aspirin or cold medication and all the farmacia's were closed. I could tell they were normally snobby front desk clerks, but even they took pity on me as I was shaking and sweating in front of them and told me to take a cold shower.

Getting to my hotel room had never felt so good in my entire life. And after I dumped out my entire purse I found a just barely expired packet of Dayquil I then remembered dropping in there "just in case". Oh, was I ever proud of myself for thinking that far ahead.

I was able to get a little bit of sleep last night, but more this morning. I'm on my way to the farmacia to get some more medication, and some food (I hope they have chicken noodle some place near here), then back to my hotel room to rest before I go to dinner tonight. Barcelona can wait another day for me to explore it.

Oh, and yes the Superbowl is absolutely ignored here. Didn't even think about it till I finally got CNN at this hotel. The Cardinals still rule, I'm proud of them. Hope you all had a great time with it!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Marcia,
I just finished your lastest entry and it sure seems like I started at a great place in the story. I'm hooked already. Can't wait to read more. Hopefully you're feeling better and finally found that aspirin. Be well. Rob

Ashok said...

Hi Marcia

New Country new weather, be careful as sickness is the last thing you can afford.

Try home remedies I will send soon.

Hopefully you are feeling better, & do notmake us worryu more.

Ashok