Saturday, January 31, 2009

Granada Cont.

I'm kind of pissed at myself. I didn't go out at yesterday because of my hangover, but the weather was perfect. Today it was cold and rainy and I walked the Alhambra balancing the guided tour, a camera and an umbrella all in gloves. It was really hard and really cold. I guess drinking does have drawbacks besides cirrhosis.

But oh my god it is amazing. I have to come back when the weather is better and the flowers are blooming. Tonight I attended a flameco show in the caves of the socramonte district, where all the gypsy's live. I got in the cab and asked him to take me to the district. As we were driving he asked which restaurant. I told him I didn't have any reservations, so I was just going to walk around and see what I could find. This did not make him happy. In fact he wouldn't let me out of the cab till he found me a cave that could take me. At first I was a bit dubious thinking he just wanted a higher fare, but the look on his face conviced me otherwise. I arrived late for the show, but they let me stay for the whole of the next. (I actually started to leave, but the doormen grabbed me and explained I was allowed to stay for the next one, which I thought was very nice). The dancers were great, they'd be dripping in sweat and exhaustion by the end of their 10 minute dances. But then I found them all smoking behind the restaurant, which really surprised me.

There were two American girls there that are studying in Madrid for the semester that were in Granada for the weekend. It's funny how I knew they were American the second I saw them. I bought them a drink. I remember how grateful I was in college to have old people buy me drinks.

When the show finished the doorman grabbed me and the American girls and said he was calling us a taxi. I said I wanted to walk around some and he said no, you can't. They even sent somebody with us to the corner to wait for the taxi's with us. (everyone else arrived and left by tour bus). So obviously, the Socramonte district is not a place for single females. I'm so hiking over to that district tomorrow. And I will walk around, but not at night. I leave for Barcelona by plane tomorrow night. I'm excited. I'm meeting a friend of Tom Zoellners for dinner on Mondayand Eduardo will be in town on Tuesday for business so we'll have dinner. It's the first city I've been to that I actually have plans. I'm also waiting to hear from a galley owner one of my work friends knows there. Hopefully I'll have dinner with him on Wednesday. And maybe Barcelona will be my new home. I don't know, but I need to start thinking about this really hard. Or at least just find a laundromat. I could postpone the apartment finding for a while, but not the laundry.

No comments: