Friday, January 30, 2009

I went out last night as is my custom, with my book and no plans, but to wander the streets to see what is there. I came across a sushi restaurant, which was closed but I had an immediate craving, so I sat at the bar next door it till it opened drinking white wine. The sushi was not bad and I enjoyed my dinner. On my way home I saw from a distance this glowing jewel of an green house with ornate windows and a crystal chandelier, I was soon to find out it was built in 1904. I could not resist it. So I went for a last glass of wine. They even had sauvignon blanc, which has been hard to find. I spoke a bit to the bartender and soon pulled out my book.

I was then approached by two men close to my age, one blonde and nice looking, who spoke English, the other looked like the head pickpocket from Oliver Twist. Large with dark eyes and a goatee, I suspected he was of gypsy descent which is so prevelant in Granada, he came complete with a cheap suit.

The blonde asked me very chivalarously to join their group and promised no harm would come to me. My calling card says Marcia Ring, Adventurer, not Marcia Ring, bookworm, so I of course accepted their offer. I joined their group at the end of he bar which consisted of a beautiful Brazilian girl who swore she spoke no English, but was the best of them all. She was in her 20's and had moved to Spain three years before, she was also very outgoing and soon there were shots of Tequila at her request. The other was a tiny man named Antonio, he may have been a jockey in his earlier years.

After the tequila and a few rounds of pretend golf (the gypsy, Fredrico, loved his golf), we soon headed out to Antonio's disco. The Blonde, Joseph, kept telling me how rich Fredrico was and how everything would be taken care of. His excitement to be surrounded by men such as Fredrico and Antonio was evident as he kept whispering in my ear, that he was a mear waiter, but these men owned the city. And Antonio, I asked, well, Fredrico was rich, but Antonio was his boss.

As we were leaving the Brazilian, Barbara, said, she must go home to change her shoes. Um, where are we going? I'm in an old black sweater, walking boots and a pair of sweats that if I wear one more time without washing will give me a rash. She said I looked beautiful and not to worry about such things, and took off with a man that had been there, but I didn't quite notice.

So we hopped in a taxi and arrived at Antonio's disco. I changed my drink to beer, as wine is not good for the long haul and was given a one in a beautiful blue bottle, much like a fancy mineral water that they told me was the best beer in all of Spain. It was pretty darn good. I must remember the name of it. Barbara soon joined us in a new beauiful black dress and heels that would make a seasoned drag queen fall over. Fredrico felt it was his duty to teach me to Flamenco. He kept telling me to keep my hips still and move with my feet. When the music would change to something contemporary, he would clap his hands and order the DJ to change it back, which the DJ bregrudgeonly did. He then commanded Barbara to dance to show me the right way. She was all hips and Fredrico applauded, muey perfecto! I commented that she used her hips and he said, well, Barbara does as Barbara does, but you must not use your hips. Ok, so I'm not a 20 something Brazilian beauty that can get away with whatever I want.

Before too long we hit another bar, this one I think Fredrico owned. I started to talk to some Americans and the blonde quickly took me by the waist and explained that I was with Fredrico and Antonio and I was not to talk to other men. Umm, Ok. I noticed Barbara talking to many, he said, well, Barbara does as Barbara does. We very loudly walked the empty streets of the city center and found another bar. At this point I knew I was past the point of no return and quietly asked the blonde for taxi. But there is no quiet in this group and my farewell to my new amigos took many hugs and kisses and promises to call. I stumbled to my hotel room about 4 in the morning. Thankfully this hotel has a spa which I have longed for and I think today is the perfect day to take advantage of it.

1 comment:

dutchboy said...

crazy madge out on the town in spain. sounds like you're having some great adventures! Where should we meet up with you? what's your next stop? i think ill be near milan the week of the 16th of february