Saturday, January 17, 2009

Lisboa

The Portugese keep telling me how much friendlier they are than the Spanish. I can't wait to see wa the Spanish say about the Portugese.

All in all, people have been extremely nice and accommodating. The first day I woke to rain and went to get an umbrella at the mall near the hotel.

Let me tell you, if I had seen these clothes before I left home, I would have arrived naked and sent the taxi straight to the stores. But then I looked at the price tags and even at half off, I couldn't afford them. So I guess it's all good.

I went to find the city center. Found it and it was cool. Walked around stopped to get some wine at a cafe. When I asked how much the bartender said 7. I thought that's kind of pricey for mediocre wine, but I've paid more for less before. I gave him a 10 euro and he handed me back 9.30. Ok, that wine just got a lot tastier.

Then I decided to go to the hotel before dinner. It took me a while to find my way back. But I found this great old bull ring that had been converted to a shopping plaza. Decided not to go in, but keep going to the hotel. Two hours later I came across the same bull ring and decided it was time to get a cab. Took all of 2 minutes ad 3 euros to get to the hotel and it was well worth it.

Had dinner near the hotel that night because my legs just couldn't go any further.

The next day I took off again in a different direction. Came across kind of a scary part of town, but decided to take a chance and go up this tiny windy side street over the hill. Well, guess what I found? The real city center and it was amazing. Absolutely fell in love with Lisboa at that point. Spent hours walking up and down hills and then into the main area wiht all the shops to ave lunch.

Took a taxi home to get ready for dinner.

Asked the taxi driver to take me back to the city center and he said of course. But he took me to the port instead. I decided to go with it.

There were lots of bars and restaurants and looked like the new tourist attraction, diner of sheeps cheese, olives and sauteed shrimp was very good and my bartender was very attentive.

Went out for a drink afterwards and ran into the Honors business majors from NYCU. I can't wait to download that photo for you, It was like hanging out with Harold and Kumar multiplied by 5 and minus the pot. They were the first Americans I've run into. Turns out not many Americans visit Lisbon, but the place is swarming with Brits. They're all kind of pudgy so I'm not really hanging out with them. Just kiding, but seriously, not the best looking group of people by any means. I'm off to Madrid this afternoon.

When I figure out how to download my pictures I'll start posting them I swear!

2 comments:

Mike Lisboa said...

I'm glad to hear Lisboa lives up to the, um, good Lisboa name.

Unknown said...

Marcia!
Sounds like you're having a great time already! I think I'm still in shock you're still there. I'm so impressed that you did it and what an amazing adventure in your life! You go girl!
I was reading your blog to Joe and he told me to tell you to make sure you never stay at any of the hostiles there! LOL! I'm sure you're well aware of that though.
Anyway, be safe, have fun and love and miss you LOTS!
Bridget