Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Journey

Whoever said it's not the destination but the journey never flew commercial airlines. While my seat mates were pleasant enough, a young English couple traveling with her parents, I can say I nor my butt were made to sit in one place for 10 hours. It didn't help that the plane for some unknown reason was 80 degrees. But I persevered (not like I could jump ship) and landed in Heathrow with a surprise. We had to fly around an additional 40 minutes due to fog. As we were descending I looked out the window and said, once we break through this cloud I should be able to see something, and bam we were on the runway and I still couldn't see out the window.

I guess that's why there's a whole line of coats named after that fog, it's pretty impressive and I've spent sometime in San Francisco.

So of course the plane to Lisboa was delayed by 4 hours, and I already had a 4 hour layover planned. Now this in itself would not have been bad. I was planning on having a beer then sleeping by the gate. But I guess in Heathrow they don't tell you the gate until 20 minutes before the fligh is to depart and it took them three hours to tell you that the flight would be four hours late. So I stayed awake continually checking the display boards for any news.

Thankfully the beer is cheap in London.

Got on the flight to Lisboa and met a wonderful Portugese man who taught me all the basics of the language and gave me a few pointers. He finally looked at me and said, I think it is time for you to sleep, which I promptly did.

My first night in Lisboa was me sleeping soundly for um, 16 hours. Which was ok, because it rained really hard all that morning or so I'm told. It had calmed down by the time I woke at 3:30pm.

No comments: