Monday, January 26, 2009

Seville

Was incredible. Tiny, windy streets, beautiful gardens and palaces and so much more. I walked for hours each day stopping in little cafes and stores. Of course I had to cab it home every night in Seville, because for the life of me I just could not find my hotel. If it took me two hours and I still hadn't found it, I'd find a cafe, have a couple drinks then get a cab. I got harrassed by this really drunk old guy at one of the cafe's on the last night. The bartender kept screaming at him, no molesta! no molesta! I realized I was like one of those animals on the way to Rocky Point. I'd finish my night at the restaurant on the corner, where the same people came every night and they started to know me.

I did make it to the train station so I could book my ticket to Malaga(which looks like a thousand miles away on the map, but is only a 20 minute walk) and got my eyebrows done for $5 euro! It costs $20 in the states. I told the girl that in the US it would cost that much, she said she must move there. But she didn't realize how much more expensive everything else is. I really can't explain how inexpensive the food and the booze and the taxi's are. I did make it to the Palace, Plaza de Espana and Plaza de America, which were both beautiful and pleasant to walk around. And each had young lovers in corners. I was a bit jealous.

But the Spanish there was unrecognizable. In Madrid it had been so clear and easy, Seville it was mumbled, fast and jumbled.

No comments: